Thursday, August 28, 2008

Great Grandma Christensen

Elma Smith Christensen
1910-2008
My adorable cousin Chloe and Great Grandma on their 7th and 96th birthday.  The are exactly 89 years apart.
There are certain woman in my life who I have always looked up to and I always will.  One of them is my Great Grandma Christensen. She has lived a full 97 years of life.  I am very sad that she is no longer here but I am feeling very at peace and happy for her.  My Great Grandpa passed before my parents were married and I know she has been missing him very much.  I am so grateful to know that this life is not the end and she finally with my Great Grandpa and my Uncle Brent, her son (who was very openly her favorite).  
Just before I came home for the summer some friends and I wanted to take a trip out of Utah and go to California.  While we were there I made sure I saw her.  She didn't remember who I was but I was so happy to just see her and listen to her great stories just one more time.  Her stories were always one of my favorite things about her.  My senior year of high school I was visiting California for a week with my Dad and we went to see her.  At the time she was still living on her own and her memory was still very sharp.  I remember being so fascinated by her memory and her stories that I didn't want to leave.  She was telling me all about my grandpa when he was younger and then some great stories of her playing in her backyard when she was just a little girl.  Although she didn't remember me the last time I saw her she was telling me all about Brigham City and if she were to go back she would drive down the road and say "You're lost you dummy" (these were her exact words) but then if she kept driving she knows she would see something that would make her remember.  She kept thanking me for coming to see her friend (my Grandpa's sister) when really we were coming to see her.  
I love my Great Grandma Christensen and she will always hold a special place in my heart. 

1 comment:

S'mee said...

This is lovely. I'm glad you got to spend some time with her, I 'm sure it made her day. Adorable.